Are you worried that you might wake up some morning and find that you’ve become an Anywhereist?
After all, why would you want to be one of those? Who would want to:
- Have the freedom to travel where and when you want?
- Work where you feel comfortable, in conditions that help you put forth your best effort?
- Live in the place where you can construct a happy life that’s meaningful for you?
Now, if you want to completely ensure that you’ll never fall into any of those traps, here are 9 tips to keep you on the straight and narrow.
How NOT to become an Anywhereist
- Buy season tickets to everything. Sports events, symphony, ballet, opera, community theater — you’ve got to keep your leisure-time calendar full.
- Tie yourself to a job. Make sure they won’t consider allowing you to work remotely, and that they offer no or minimal vacation time.
- Buy lots of stuff. Fragile or hard-to-pack memorabilia are ideal if you want to make sure you never become an Anywhereist. The more little things you have to decorate your space, the better. . . Bonus points if it’s just not Christmas without your special Department 56 Christmas Village display that takes up your entire living and dining room. Oh, and invest in some pieces of really good heavy furniture, too!
- Develop a routine and stick to it! Don’t let anything disrupt your regular life. You want that rut to be as deep as possible so you can’t possibly dig your way out of it!
- Take on extra family obligations. Be the grandma, grandpa, aunt, or uncle who’s always there to babysit the kids on a moment’s notice. Make sure the parents rely on you completely to always be there for them. After all, sometimes they need to get away!
- Saddle yourself with big car payments. Trade in your car and replace it at least every two years to make sure those payments are always right up there.
- Buy a house, and mortgage it to the hilt. Bonus points if you can arrange it so you’re upside-down on your mortgage, owing more than the property is worth.
- Don’t save! Spend every paycheck as fast as you earn it.
- Under no circumstances get a passport. If you don’t have a passport you can’t possibly leave the country.
BONUS TIP: Surround yourself with others who would never consider doing anything unusual, like becoming Anywhereists.