Anyone can start a personal or hobby blog, but if you want a profitable blog, there are some bases you need to cover before you even start writing.
In this two-part series, Susanna and Kitty share what you need to do to lay the groundwork for a blog that will add to your income. (Hint: think “business,” not “blog”. . .)
Listen to the podcast as Susanna reviews that statistics you don’t want to be a part of, and then explains how to get started right.
She starts by reviewing the four questions you must answer before you touch pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard).
Resources From the Podcast
- Siteground — the best place to host your blog when you’re starting out. Most bloggers start out with shared hosting, because it’s inexpensive. There are some good hosts out there and, unfortunately, a lot of terrible hosts. Siteground is already optimized for WordPress, which gives you a big advantage from the start. They’re also affordable, and have good support.
- The Artists Way Starter Kit, which includes Julie Cameron’s book The Artists Way, and the Morning Pages journal. Kitty explains it in detail in the podcast — it’s a great way to get your ideas flowing and start the writing process.
- 750 Words — if you’d rather write your Morning Pages exercise digitally.
- Lifehacker article
- ProBlogger article
- The Best Things I Ever Ate in Disney series
- The Disney Blog
- 40 Types of Income You Could Earn From Your Blog
Thanks for the great music! Our theme music is provided by SoundCloud, and we’re featuring artist ItIs Leanne, playing Corta-Jaca – tango brasileiro.
Follow Your Co-Hosts
Your co-hosts are Susanna Perkins (Anywhereist) and Kitty Navias.
Susanna’s a serial solopreneur, blogger, freelance writer, WordPress maven, and all-around portable career enthusiast. She developed her anywhereist lifestyle in an act of desperation following the US financial meltdown in 2009. During that time she’s moved 7 times, and worked from hundreds of locations at home and abroad.
Kitty’s a millennial with a lot of creative pursuits — she’s a musician, photographer, and writer. She’s traveled extensively, with plans for a lot more. On the show, Kitty will be providing us with tips and resources to keep our lives under control and moving in a forward direction as we become Anywhereists.
Follow Anywhereist on Instagram @the_anywhereist
Like Anywhereist on Facebook @Anywhereist
Follow Anywhereist on Twitter @TheAnywhereist